Welcome to Stone House Lodge!
Once upon a time, in a land close by, a stone house was built . . .
Where El Vado Lake is today there was a township of El Vado. In the early 1900s this historic town was the largest in Rio Arriba County. The vast forests in this region attracted loggers, and with the construction of a railroad spur to EL Vado, the town grew extensively as a lumber center from 1914-1923. El Vado had a sawmill, a mill pond, a box factory, kilns, switching yards, a round house, a company store, saloons, bordellos, a school, churches, an opera house, a boxing arena, a post office, and residences. Workers were primarily Mexican-American and Jicarilla Apache. In 1920, the population at El Vado was 882. As the logging industry died in the area, the impetus for the creation of El Vado Dam grew.
In 1933, when President Roosevelt took office, he feverishly created program after program to give relief, create jobs and stimulate economic recovery for the U.S. These programs were called “Alphabet Soup”, “New Deal” and “The Civilian Conservation Corps” or CCC. The CCC being an environmental program put 2.5M unmarried men to work maintaining and restoring forests, beaches and parks. Workers earned $1 a day, but received free board and training. From 1934-1937, this program funded similar programs for 8,500 women.
Between 1933-1935, the CCC constructed El Vado Dam and the area was flooded. The remnants of the old town of El Vado slipped underwater, with only a few reminders of the era left on shore. Today you see what is left of the old cemetery on the Northern Peninsula. The Dam was completed in 1955. At capacity, EL Vado holds 179,849 feet of water.
The CCC built The Stone House sometime in the early 1930s as an Elk’s Lodge. Since that time, The Stone House has seen several different owners. Marilyn and Del Morisson purchased the property in 1983 and have made it what it is today. Under recent new ownership as of 4/2022, the Lodge has gone through a major facelift.
Stone House Lodge is named after The Stone House. This 2,500 square foot, 6 bedroom home built out of stone is situated on the North rim of El Vado Lake with spectacular views.
In addition to The Stone House, the lodge consists of five 1 and 2 bedroom cabins, a 4 bedroom duplex and two studios designed for hunting and fishing groups. Mindfully placed RV lots and campsites can be found throughout the 15 acres of lush property.
We have an abundance of wildlife that visits frequently – deer, elk, wild turkey, bobcats, osprey, mountain lions, and bears. You can also catch a glimpse of the majestic Bald Eagle as it vacations here during the winter.
Area amenities including kayaking, paddle boat, mountain bike, trail hiking, fishing and hunting. Or just sit back, relax and enjoy the unspoiled beauty of Northern New Mexico’s most popular recreation area.